Friday, November 18, 2011

Thankful....




Last night I went out with some old friends and a not-so-old friend :) and had a truly wonderful time.  I was amazed by their kindness. We talked about some things that aren’t easy to talk about¸ and I felt so grateful for their willingness to listen and understand.  I talked about things I don’t often discuss because I’m afraid of what people might think, and they listened with an acceptance and lack of judgment that floored me.  I’m not a perfect person and I’ve made some choices that I’m not proud of, and to be able to speak openly about them and feel nothing but acceptance brought a sense of awe and gratitude that I don’t know how to describe.  Sitting there , I was struck by the realization that my life, while far from perfect, is nevertheless an embarrassment of riches.  I have so many people who care about me, and not just because they’re family and they’re supposed to.  I’m aware of my faults, and I know that I’m not always easy to understand.  The fact that there are quite a few people in this world who know almost everything there is to know about me and love me anyway is something that I can’t (and don’t) take for granted.
That’s really all I want to say tonight: To everyone who’s ever seen through my walls and found something to love, thank you.  I don’t always deserve it, but I promise you that I always appreciate it.  I feel humbled by you.